- 2 oz Bourbon
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 4 dashes Any Dr. I.J. Douglass’s Cocktail Bitters
- 2 Cocktail Cherries
- In an old fashioned glass places the sugar and bitters in the bottom and stir to combine.
- Place one large ice cube in the glass.
- Pour bourbon over the ice cube.
- Stir to combine.
- Garnish with cocktail cherries, or a twist.
- An old fashioned is essentially any spirit, bitters, and sugar. Experiment with what you like to find your old fashioned.
The Old Fashioned, today it’s mostly known as a mixture of whiskey, simple syrup, bitters, and an orange peel. Historically, an Old Fashioned was the answer to “what is a cocktail?”. As early as 1806 a cocktail was defined as a combination of spirits, water, sugar, and bitters. All other cocktails derive from an Old Fashioned. It is the foundation for the cocktail industry. Experiment! A brandy Old Fashioned has same historical relevancy as a whiskey Old Fashioned, as does a rum Old Fashioned.
Use a combination of your favorite spirit, bitters, and sweet to find the perfect cocktail for you.